Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thoughts on Leadership

In PRL, toward the end of Ben's address at the Waldorf Astoria before a leadership conference, Ben states: “Several are the measures of the true leader. Three such, however, I submit, should precede all others. In the form of interrogatives, asked of one’s own self, they are thus: For what causes would I, without benefit of forethought, forfeit my very life, that these causes might succeed? For what principles would I, without benefit of forethought, forfeit my very life, that these principles might prevail? For what persons would I, without benefit of forethought, forfeit my very life, that these persons might continue in theirs?”

Do you agree with Ben in whole or in part? If not, what is your own concept of the true leader? Can you give us an example of one such leader today?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the spirit of Ben's statement. A true leader is one who aligns himself with what he considers the most important causes and values those causes more than he does his life. There are many such people leading dissident movements today in societies suffering under authoritarian governments. I can't name any, though, because I'm a typical American and I know little of happenings outside my nation's borders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I offer for your consideration the following quote from Ross Douthat's column in the Sunday New York Times (11/6/11), titled Our Reckless Meritocracy: "From Michele Bachmann to Herman Cain, the outsiders haven't risen to the challenge. It will do America no good to replace the arrogant with the ignorant, the overconfident with the incompetent.

    In place of reckless meritocrats, we don't need feckless know-nothings. We need intelligent leaders with a sense of their own limits, experienced people whose lives have taught them caution. We still need the best and brightest, but we need them to have somehow learned humility along the way."

    Any comments?

    ReplyDelete